Shoes of Prey US Public Relations Manager / Celebrity Engagement
Shoes of Prey is a global, multi-channel retail brand that enables shoppers to design their own shoes online. The company is changing the way women shop for shoes, and is on track to become a significant international retailer over the next five years. Shoes of Prey has won and been nominated for many awards, with recent prizes including Most Innovative Online Retailer 2013 at the Online Retail Industry Awards, and Store Design of the Year 2013 at the World Retail Awards in Paris.
In the 4 years since our launch we’ve secured amazing press including Oprah Magazine, Vogue, Elle, Marie Claire, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Daily Candy and many more. We have A-list celebs getting into our shoes but what we really need is a person with great relationships (or ability to make them), a strong background in PR and an unstoppable enthusiasm to make Shoes of Prey famous.
You’ll become our main point of contact with press in the US. It will be essential that you embody the Shoes of Prey brand to be able to represent us to fashion, tech and business press. It will be your job to properly systemize and lead innovation in our PR work as we grow. This role will develop and implement the US PR strategy while ensuring it supports the overall marketing strategy, brand position, personality and core values.
To be successful in this role, here are the 3 key things you'll have achieved after 12 months in this role (in priority order):
- Every 1-2 months we're landing on-message feature stories about Shoes of Prey in US top tier press outlets. In addition, you've built an automated process for working with lower tier press so we're constantly being covered by smaller press outlets and fashion bloggers. You closely measure the results of your work and our press coverage is responsible for driving significant amounts of converting traffic to our site.
- You're Shoes of Prey's US public relations guru and recognized internally as the go to person for US public relations. You are across the detail of what is being said about us, and you have a firm hand on how to put our messages into market through the excellent relationships you have built. You also know what does or does not work for us and are adept at steering us clear of these pitfalls.
- You respect Shoes of Prey's culture and values, and operate within these guidelines when working with the rest of the team in Sydney, China or New York.
Your work experience clearly identifies that you have the following traits:
- Success in press pitching: You will understand how to perfectly craft a pitch for the intended media audience. You will be comfortable and successful in pitching across multiple channels including top tier broadcast, print, and online outlets (this includes bloggers and vloggers). You will be able to make educated recommendations on who to target and which press will give us highest ROI (although we know how hard this is to measure).
- Success in partnerships: You already have, or know how to build relationships with key journalists, celebrities and stylists. You understand the Shoes of Prey brand and organise blogger/vlogger and brand partnerships for us to grow awareness in the US with the right target consumer.
- Passion for PR: You will be unable to hide your passion for PR! You will have an immersive knowledge and understanding of fashion PR and an in-depth interest/understanding of PR for business and technology. You will be abreast of new, exciting and important opportunities for innovation in the social media and PR space and ensure that Shoes of Prey is poised to innovate and take advantage of these opportunities.
- Tenacity and scrappiness: You can make things work with limited resources. When things don't go as planned and you're missing your targets you'll go to the ends of the earth adjusting angles, approaches and delivery to do what it takes to hit your targets.
- Organized: You have a clear plan for pitching to press and approaching partners, are able to execute against that, meeting timelines and co-ordinating events when needed.
We are looking for someone to join us on a contract / freelance basis with the option to move to full-time, who has worked in PR for 2-3 years either at another online retailer, e-commerce company, or agency. Salary is dependent on experience. The role is based in New York, and we are flexible with remote working arrangements from time to time.
To apply for this role please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line "YOUR NAME - US PR MANAGER". This is essential as any applications without this will be missed by our email filters.
Thanks, we can't wait to hear from you!